So I’ve been getting a few asks on how I made my Vriska arm, seen here:
And so I decided to slap this post together until I can actually make a video or one jpeg. So here we go!
So I basically used this tutorial’s technique http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html
But I only used:
- Sheets of craft foam
- Cheese cloth
- Paper Towels
- Grey Spray Paint
- Mod Podge
- Metal brads
- Elmer’s Glue
- Acrylic paint, specifically metallic silver and black
- Black elbow length opera glove for underneath
- Heat Gun, or a hair dryer
- Glue gun
Okay, so first step is getting the basic shape of the forearm and upper arm pieces. There’s no specific way I did it, but using newspaper to trace out your pattern saves you from wasting craft foam. Both sections are in two pieces, secured with velcro.
Once you have the basic shapes down, use your heat source to heat up the foam. This allows you to mold it to your arm. But don’t get it too hot or it’ll bubble or melt!
After this, you can start putting the details on. I used brads for the nail/screw heads, but I hear painted googly eyes also work! And hot glued strips on for the dimension/striations You can get creative with the details since there’s no specific way Vriska’s arm looks, other than striated.
Then comes the cheesecloth and glue! Paint a layer of glue onto the underside of the foam, and press the cheesecloth on top. After that’s dry, paint another layer of glue on top. This makes the foam rigid and not…foam-y.
ALSO To prime the foam before painting it, so instead of absorbing it it actually holds the colour, you’re going to want to “paint” on a water/glue mixture. Two parts water, one part glue. Brush a couple coats on, letting it dry in between.(no picture)
Then comes my favourite part, the painting! I used a grey spray paint as a base coat on the outside, and black on the inside to mask the cheesecloth.
Then for the weathering, I used black acrylic paint. I painted it in the crevices and wiped it away with a wet paper towel before it dried. This part takes a little bit of experimentation, so don’t get frustrated!
I don’t have a picture of this, but I cannot stress the importance of the METALLIC SILVER ACRYLIC PAINT when painting. It really gives it the metallic shine that makes the “metal” come to life. Especially on the brads.When using it though, do the same method with the wet paper towel and wipe it off, cause there is a thing as TOO much shine.
After you finish painting everything, DON’T FORGET TO SEAL IT WITH MOD PODGE OR YOU WILL BE SAD. VERY VERY SAD.
Also, your hands will get really messy~
OH I ALMOST FORGOT. For the hand, there was a pattern I did follow actually. It was for a Edward Elric arm, but I unfortunately don’t know where that link is. ; n ;
But here are close up pictures. The fingers are connected with tiny 1/4” black elastic~
And that’s about it! This was my first prop making adventure, so it was highly experimental, so like I said before, don’t get discouraged!
I’m also in the process of adding wires to make it look cooler, so you can do that too!
But yup, that’s it. Thanks for reading! You guys are fabulous. c:
If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an ask or leave a comment!
terms for penis you should not use in fics:
- love stick
- ding dong
- 100% all-beef thermometer
- bologna pony
- stinky pickle
- magic wand
- divine rod
- love muscle
- power drill
- captain winky
- yogurt slinger
last updated: 15 April 2012
Here are some useful extensions, scripts, and tutorials for Tumblr. Scripts require a simple, one click install for Google Chrome. Firefox users may need to download Greasemonkey first before installing scripts.
As far as I know, these scripts/extensions can work together.
I’ll add more links as I think of them, and feel free to share your own tips or resources.
- Missing E - Probably the most popular Tumblr extension. Features: one click reblog/queue/drafts, automatically clears all tags when reblogging, adds tags to ask/reply, allows one click reply to comments, shuffle queue, adds timestamp to posts on your dashboard, replaces text (reblog, notes) with picture icons, and more. Downside: Tumblr apparently hates Missing E, and will try to scare you into disabling it.
- Xkit - Similar to Missing E. Some additional features: Unfollower check, shorten long posts on dashboard, highlight key terms in posts, download mp3 from audio posts.
- Tumblr Savior - Blacklist tags that you do not want to see on your dashboard. Downside: Not everyone tags.
Some selections from a larger collection of scripts (please note that I don’t use all of these, so I don’t know which ones still work):
- Tumblr Life - Quick links to sort your dashboard by content (photos, text, quotes, video, etc), adds keyboard shortcuts.
- Tumblr Hate - Do you keep seeing the same post reblogged in your dashboard? This script lets you “hate” that post so you won’t see it again.
- Tumblr Helper - Create post templates with common settings, add personal notes to users on your dashboard
- Tumtaster - download mp3s from tumblr
- Notification eraser - Maybe you have one post that keeps getting a ton of notes and you want the notifications to stop showing up in your dash.
- Tumblr Stats - hover over an avatar to see a user’s stats
- Block posts by source - self-explanatory
- Don’t Ask - gets rid of ask posts on your dashboard
- Make avatars bigger on your dashboard
- Unfollower check
- Edit tags from your dash
- How to unfollow deactivated Tumblrs
- Tumblr Settings - Change URL, ask and submit options, enable replies, time zone settings.
- Tumblr Preferences - Dashboard preferences, email address and password reset.
- Tumblr bookmarklet
- Tumblr Mega-Editor - mass edit your posts
- Use old customize theme page
- http://www.tumblr.com/show/photos (replace photos with other types of posts to filter your dash)
- How to reblog by post type (reblog a post as text, link, etc)
- Use “read more”
- Tumblr Backup Application (for Mac)
- View posts by date on a tumblr - http://username.tumblr.com/day/YEAR/MONTH/DAY [ie: 2011/12/31]
- Tumblr Radar Archive
- Best of your tumblr - find your most popular posts
- Tumblr Stats - tells you about your tumblr
- Tumblr Tags - view all your tags
- Disqus - add comments section to your tumblr
- Trntbl - listen to all the music/audio posts on a tumblr
- Make a word cloud
Tumblr theme cutomization:
- Make a blogroll
- Theme recovery
- Combine ask and submit box
- How to add text to your ask page
- More tumblr resources: tumblring.net - academyoftumblr - tutorialsandmore
- Google Analytics
- Revolver Map
- Users online / Visitor counter
- Flag counter
- Followers counter
- Know Anon - if you are getting harassed by anons, you can use this to find out their identity
- Tumblr Stalkr - see who doesn’t follow you, new followers, and unfollowers
what the fuck is happening
i never asked for this
OHMY GDO I LOVE BOOBAHS.COM ITS THE EBST THING IN THE WORLD
I ALWAYAS LOSE IT…
I don’t know what’s worse, the fact that this is a site clearly intended for toddlers or the fact I just spent fifteen minutes of my life there.
FIFTEEN MINTUES IS SMALL TIME I SPEND HOURS HERE OK
SOMEONE HELP ME
This story opens during my freshman year of high school. I had gone to a different high school than everyone I knew during middle school, so I was eager to start meeting new people. One day, during Biology, we’re assigned lab partners for the semester and mine is a girl that we’ll call “Ellie”. We’re given some busywork assignment to familiarize ourselves with safety procedures, so I use this time to get to know my partner (since we’re going to be stuck together anyway). I learned that Ellie and I had a lot in common: she didn’t know anyone at this school either (having just moved from five hours away), had a definite off-beat personality and was a fan of anime. With so much in common, we ended up becoming friends by the end of the period.
Ellie and I didn’t have any other classes together, and I was busy after school, so it didn’t really surprise me when she slipped me a note one day. Most of our communication took place in writing, which might explain why I missed warning flags for what was in store. Despite only sharing one class, I started seeing Ellie in the hallways, every day in the same places. Then she starts finding me at football games, despite having a strong dislike for the sport. Then, at a buffet for the school band (which I was in) after games, Ellie hugs me from behind. Unfortunately, I wish I could say that alarms were going off at this point, but I can be incredibly dense.
There aren’t a whole lot of anime/manga fans at my local high school. There’s no club or anything, which I really didn’t have an problem with. Being a “normal” fan of anime, I’ve met and seen a lot of really messed up weeaboos over my years. Luckily, that happened mostly just in middle school with an large anime club and “Cosplay-Day”.
But my high school didn’t have any of this, so I thought I’d be okay this year and wouldn’t run into anymore weridos. Yeah, I was dead wrong.